07/08/15: Award-winning Westminster-based conference, meetings and events venue One Great George Street announces its refurbishment works plan for 2016.
Home to the Institution of Civil Engineers, the building was designed by Scottish architect James Miller and celebrated its 100th birthday in 2010. It has been a Grade II listed building since 1984 and first became available for public events in 1989. Offering 21 flexible event spaces, the magnificent, Edwardian building with rich neo-Palladian and Baroque interior is currently a popular choice for diverse markets. In 2016, the building will undergo a series of works designed to further improve facilities, energy efficiency and accessibility.
“One Great George Street’s values and standards form a core part of our vision to be the preferred meetings and events venue in Westminster. Having built a reputation on offering excellent service and standards within a stunning building, this refurbishment will maintain and enhance the latter; our historic, physical asset” said One Great George Street’s Director, Gary Payne.
Key activities will include:
- A full deep clean of the external stonework to ensure a sparkling reception for all visitors
- Maintenance of the historic four glass domes and ornate, painted Great Hall ceiling
- Transformation of the venue’s historic library into an inspirational exhibition and events space, in addition to the existing 21 event spaces already available
- A brand new wheelchair accessible lift to the Upper Library as part of One Great George Street’s continued commitment to accessibility. The venue has paved the way for accessibility in historic venues since the launch of its innovative main entrance platform lift, and has previously won the Catey Award for Best Accessible Venue
- Replacement of all boilers with new energy efficient models in keeping with the venue’s ongoing commitment to sustainability. The new boilers are estimated to be between 30 and 50 per cent more efficient. The venue also operates a 0% to landfill policy, innovative recycling solutions and procures sustainable catering produce
- The venue will be closed to the public from June 20th 2016 to September 19th 2016
- For progress updates please follow Facebook OGGSVenue or
Twitter @OGGSVenue and #OGGSRefurb
- For venue bookings outside the closure period contact +44 (0)20 7665 2323
About One Great George Street
One Great George Street is an award-winning Grade II listed central London venue located just a stone’s throw away from the Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace and St James’s Park.
Built between 1910-13 and home to the Institution of Civil Engineers, this magnificent four-domed Edwardian building offers 21 flexible function rooms including the magnificent Great Hall with up to 400-guest capacity, an expert in-house catering team serving delicious modern European cuisine, and an exceptional on-site Audio Visual team. Renowned for its high quality of standards, service, ideal location and excellent transport links, One Great George Street is ideal for:
- Conferences & Events
- Private & Fine Dining
- Gala Diners
- Press Conferences
- Product Launches
- Wedding Ceremonies & Receptions
- Lectures & Seminars (2 Theatres with Tiered Seating)
- Fashion Shows
- Exhibitions (Small & Medium)
- Filming Location – Feature Films & Television Series
- Twitter: @OGGSVenue (#OGGSRefurb)
- Facebook: OGGSVenue
- LinkedIN: One Great George Street
For further information and images contact: